Ballarat Table Tennis
The association was established in 1947 and the first table tennis centre was in the Trades Hall basement and accommodated one table. A small band of association members cleaned and cleared the basement to ready it for use. Before the establishment of the centre at the Trades Hall association games had been played in various church halls and garages. From the basement at the Trades Hall the association moved to an upper floor in the building. It accommodated three tables but no room for spectators. The association functioned there for two years until a new centre was renovated through working bees by association members. It was opened by the Mayor, Cr G.L.Scott, who said the large gathering reflected the interest in the work of the association and left no doubt about its future success. Four tables were located at the Mair street centre.
From Mair street the association moved to Lydiard street during the season of 1962-63. Six tables were located at the Lydiard street centre. More than 50 teams were taking part in the competition by 1965 when the association was forced to give up the centre because of Health Department regulations. The next major move by the association came in March 1966 when the association was granted permanent occupancy of the betting pavilion at the Ballarat Showground. The association had been forced to change location at least seven times in the previous 15 years and had been constantly on the look out for a permanent base.